- Undergraduate Studies:
- Western Illinois University
- Dental School:
- University of Illinois (Chicago) 1971
- Graduate Studies:
- Northern Illinois University Graduate School of Business
- Masters in Business Administration (2000)
- General Practice Residency:
- The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis
- Staff Appointment:
- Central DuPage Hospital 1972 – 2005
- Teaching Appointment:
- Loyola University, College of Dentistry 1972-1986, Clinical Associate Professor
- Community Sevice
- DuPage Habitat For Humanity – Construction Committee (Chairman)
- DuPage Community Clinic – Volunteer Dentist and Board Member
Dr. Dettmer’s son, Adam, graduated from The College of William & Mary in 2006 magna cum laude with a degree in Finance. He spent 7 years in the Financial Advisory Services area with the Washington, DC office of Deloitte. He has recently been awarded the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) post-nominal. In 2013 he was married to fellow W&M alum, Cydni Griswold, and they have moved to Chicago where Adam is attending the Booth School of Business at the University of Chicago. His wife, Cydni, is a Tax Senior with Ernst & Young. He remains an avid Cubs and Bears fan…sadly!
The Dettmer’s daughter, Alexis, graduated from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana with Honors in May 2010. She continued at the University of Illinois and received her graduate degree in Speech Language Pathology in August of 2012. She has been employed since they by the Urbana school district. Alexis played on the U of I women’s Ultimate Frisbee team for 4 years and is now helping with coaching the underclass players. Alex will be relocating to the Chicagoland area in the summer of 2014.
Dr. Dettmer spends his free time gardening, riding his bike, pouring wine at Suzette’s Creperie in Wheaton and building homes with the DuPage affiliate of Habitat For Humanity where he serves as Chairman of the Construction Committee.
Mrs. Dettmer worked for 11 years in District 200 as an elementary level school teacher and then for 15 years at First Presbyterian Church in Wheaton teaching in the 3 year old pre-school program. She spends her leisure time with book club, bible study, time with her 2 younger sisters and her mother, and searching for “treasures” in almost every antique shop and mall she passes!