Zirconia dental crown
Most popular brand is Bruxzir
New Trend – Partial or Hybrid Zirconia dental crown
Zirconia-reinforced lithium silicates (ZLSs) are #2-3
- Schutz Dental has a new zironia reinforced composite for its Tizian milling machine
- Dentsply has Zir reinforced lithium silicate called CELTRA CAD for their Sirona MCXL
- Vident had same as Dentsply called Suprinity but looks like Dentsply bought that under VITA Zahnfabrik
Esthetic zirconia crowns
The dopant yttria (Y2O3) is increased from about 3mol% to 5mol% or more to make zirconia more esthetic (translucent). Dopants, like Y2O3, stabilize the tetragonal zirconia phase causing a higher amount of cubic phase particles. Cubic zirconia, think fake diamond, is much more translucent but is lower in strength.
- Ceramil Zolid FX Multilayer – translucent and multi-shade
- Prettau Anterior
- BruxZir Anterior 650 MPa
- Kantana has UTML and STML in multi-layer. Impressive stuff.
Katana ST > Katana UT > IPS e.max Press Conejo J Dent Res. 2016
Translucency of zirconia types are listed below. ST and Prettau anterior about same and HT and Bruxzir about same. UT nearly as good emax.
In office millable zirconia
- BruxZir NOW – 800 MPa
Zirconia crown = Oxide-based ceramic (like alumina) oxides used CaO, MgO, Y2O3, CeO2=stabilizer=dopants that prevent phase transformations
yttrium-stabilized tetragonal zirconia polycrystal (3Y-TZP) – strong because as tension induces tetragonal to monoclinic at area of crack, compression stress is then generated around the crack by surrounding tetragonal particles reducing crack propagation Garbelotto 2013
Wear of zirconia
Wear of polished and glazed Zr against enamel and ceramic Best to worst 1
- Against enamel polished Zr>enamel>polished then glazed Zr>glazed Zr>veneering ceramic
- Against ceramic polished Zr>veneering ceramic>polished then glazed Zr>glazed Zr>enamel
- Basically polished Zr is best
Zirconia wear enamel less than PFM porcelain Mundhe 2015 JPD Sept
Cement or bond zirconia? How bond zirconia?
Cementing with RMGI is the best even for short preps. Ivoclean then RMGI
To bond gold standard is tribochemical. Can also Sandblast with 50-60um alumina or silica coated alumina particles below 2 bar, Z prime, Panavia 21. tooth=sandblast, Panavia 21 primer A and B. This is a version of the APC, air abrade, prime, dual-cure or self-cure cement.
- Tribochemically 30µm CoJet silicatized alumina sand with Microetcher then silane. This will produce most stable bond for SA resin da Silva JPD 2014 Sept
- MDP (methacryloxydecyl phosphate=phosphate monomer) eg best=Z-Prime Plus Chen JPD 2013, Monobond Plus, Clearfil Ceramic Primer
- Sandblast does increase strength with MDP Bunek 2013 JCD
- Will work but aging decreases bond strength significantly. Baltz 2004 JPD Baltz Quit 2007
Xie 2016 Dent Materials shows CoJet is the best bond so maybe just do that.
The guidelines for a zirconia single pontic bridge
- 9 Square mm in the posterior 12 square mm for additional pontic
- 7 Square mm in the anterior
The newest CR research (graph above) has me a little (with a little l) concerned that there is some phase transitions happening and this wear will accelerate. The article makes mention that phase changes were seen in hips up to five years so we are likely entering a critical time period with this data. CR June 2014