iCAT flx CBCT
The new iCAT flx is an amazing piece of technology that Dr. Bryan and Danielle Bauer added to their practice in 2013. CBCT technology allows for incredible detail and much more efficient and effective treatment by allowing doctors to see in 3 dimensions what your bones and soft tissue really look like. This reduces possible complications and results in a better plan for your treatment. Plus the flx actually reduces the amount of radiation that is used compared to traditional film xrays! It is primarily used for:
- CBCT ensures that vital areas are located and avoided during surgery.
- It ensures that enough quality bone exists to place a dental implant(s) in the desired area.
- Our iCAT accurately evaluates complications of existing implants or previous surgeries.
- Our doctors can very quickly plan and show the patient exactly where the planned location for an implant is located in the bone.
- CBCT is required to accurately plan for advanced surgically accelerated orthodontics.
- The iCAT flx allows us to accurately diagnose the positions of teeth, including roots so a more efficient treatment can be accomplished.
- CBCT allows us to see the entire airway, so we can better position the jaws and teeth to accommodate your airway (we can also plan for surgery to open up the airway).
- Better confidence = more efficient and predictable outcomes for orthodontics!!
- CBCT is used to evaluate the amount of air space available in the throat for breathing.
- We use our iCAT to compare how the use of a sleep appliance impacts that air space.
- iCAT flx in particular reduces the radiation exposure level from around 24µSV to 9µSV (for reference a flight from San Fran to LA exposes you to 11µSV and San Fran to NY is 74µSV of natural background radiation SO although there is a large reduction the numbers are really not very relevant due to the small size to start with)
- CBCT allows us to find problems much earlier.
- CBCT more accurately diagnosis existing problems (such as carotid calcifications, dental implant problems, and root canal problems)
- iCAT diagnoses vertical root fracture better than other CBCT imaging.
- CBCT aides in diagnosis of hard tissue conditions with the TMJ.
- Our iCAT ensures that vital areas are located and avoided during surgery.
- It also allows us to better appreciate possible complications with surgery and aids in planning what to do.