Broken bridge repair

Have a broken bridge?  Rather have it repaired than replaced?

Broken bridge repair is what we do when a piece of the bridge has broken away. We can repair some of these with an over-crown.

In need of broken bridge repair?

Ok.  This is the most cost effective option.  In this case Alex broke one of the porcelain teeth from his bridge.  He did not want to have to replace all 4 teeth that the bridge was attached to.  To do so would cost 4x as much.  Furthermore when we replace a bridge we also increase the risk of the existing teeth needing to have root canals done.  He met with Dr. Bauer and they discussed his options.

We decided to do a slip crown on the tooth that was broken, essentially a crown placed on the bridge.  The results were great.  This is a very cost effective way to manage an issue when esthetics matter but the cost of redoing everything is prohibitive.

broken bridge repair

If you have broken a bridge and are hoping to find a cost effective treatment without replacement, perhaps this option will work with you.  Give us a call and we can have you come in and take a look at your bridge and see if this will work on your bridge.

How do we do a broken bridge repair?

It is often a 2 visit procedure.  At the first visit we shape the area that broke and we take an impression of the area.  Then we temporize the area with a plastic mock up version of the crown.  Two weeks later you will return and we remove the plastic temporary version.  Next, we try in the final porcelain crown and then cement it on.  We design this to stay on permanently.  However, the same things that caused the bridge to break can also cause the crown to break.

How much does a broken bridge repair cost?

It usually costs about the same or a little more than a single dental crown.  You can find this cost for your zip-code by typing in the dental code for a crown D2740 or searching for dental crown at fair health consumer website.  Our current fee for this in 2016 is about $1400.

Tags: , ,

15 Responses to “Broken bridge repair”

1. AnonymousApril 6, 2018 at 7:33 pm #

One of the post on my bridge broke, the bridge is fine can I just replace the post and reattach the bridge ?

• Bauer BryanApril 7, 2018 at 3:33 am #

No. Sorry. That is not the same thing.

2. France V DuDoitApril 13, 2018 at 8:07 pm #

I have a loose crown, can this be re-cemented back on?

• Bauer BryanApril 18, 2018 at 4:24 am #

It’s possible but often a loose crown has some problems that may result in tooth loss. Go see your dentist.

3. Thomas ONeillSeptember 18, 2018 at 7:53 pm #

I have a bridge that is detached and another that has chipped in the front. What do I need to do to get this fixed?

• Bauer BryanSeptember 20, 2018 at 4:54 am #

See a dentist as a detached bridge can be as simple as just re cementing but if you wait then the tooth inside can not be cleaned and roots away quickly.

4. BonnieOctober 17, 2018 at 12:00 pm #

Can a bridge be removed to repair a cavity or root canal and then the same bridge be put back on after cavity is fixed.

• Bauer BryanOctober 22, 2018 at 1:58 pm #

Yes. We use a wam key to do it. It’s not easy or predictable. Always better to repair the cavity or do the root canal with the bridge still on if possible. Usually if someone needs a root canal and has a cavity on a tooth it is because the tooth in question is in very bad shape and even though the bridge could be removed to fix the tooth, the tooth shape will be so different it will never fit back on again. The only time I have ever removed bridges is when the bridge is loose on one tooth and needs to be removed so we can recement. I would never attempt to remove to do what you are asking and doubt anyone else would either.

5. Barbra A DarlingDecember 3, 2018 at 11:55 am #

I have a removable bridge that broke in half while I was wearing it. Can it be repaired?

• Bauer BryanDecember 3, 2018 at 2:51 pm #

A removable bridge? A partial denture? A snap on smile? The snap on smile can not be fixed and they are meant for short term use only. A partial denture can be fixed usually depending on what exactly broke.

6. MarianneFebruary 20, 2019 at 4:36 am #

I had a root canal on one of the teeth holding my fixed bridge. The bridge crown chipped significantly. Can this be repaired?

• Bauer BryanFebruary 26, 2019 at 3:22 am #

You’ll have to see a dentist in person

7. FeliciaFebruary 20, 2019 at 8:28 pm #

I have a ten tooth bridge I cracked off half of one of the teeth in the front. I was told that it can not be repaired because nothing can adhere to the cap. Is that true? There must be some bonding material that works. I’m sure I’m not the first person to have this happen to.

• Bauer BryanFebruary 26, 2019 at 3:23 am #

Depends on what the bridge is made of. If there is metal showing then you can just do exactly what I did here. It’s not easy but it’s doable.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Broken bridge repair | Bauer Dentistry & Orthodontics - June 30, 2016

[…] post Broken bridge repair appeared first on Wheaton Dentist, Orthodontist, Pediatric […]