Your Wheaton Orthodontist Explains Accelerated Orthodontics
Your Wheaton Orthodontist Explains How Accelerated Orthodontics Work
Are you considering getting braces? If so, you’ve probably asked or wondered, “How long will my braces have to stay on?” Typically the answer is about one to three years, or longer. However, your Wheaton orthodontist Dr. Danielle offers accelerated orthodontics; a new, emerging treatment that significantly reduces treatment time.
What Is Accelerated Orthodontics?
Accelerated orthodontics is a treatment that doesn’t replace traditional orthodontics, such as braces or invisalign; it makes the traditional treatment process faster. In some cases it requires the daily use of a convenient device and in other cases it requires a minor procedure.
We Use Two Different Accelerated Orthodontics Systems
Propel comes in 2 forms: a small, handheld device with a mouthpiece that delivers micropulses to the teeth to initiate bone growth, OR a small device that creates micro-perforations in the bone, both make the teeth move faster. Patients only need to bite down on the mouthpiece for 5-10 minutes a day. The micro-perforations are done in the office by Dr. Danielle and take 10-15 minutes to complete. It works with both traditional braces or invisalign. Users may reduce their time by up to 50%! Sometimes teeth are very stubborn & just do not move as quickly, so the Prople micro-perforations are a great adjunct to those difficult areas!
Accelerated Osteogenic Orthodontics:
Accelerated Osteogenic Orthodontics, or AOO, also accelerates your orthodontic treatment up to 4 times and works with either braces or invisalign. AOO is a minor, in-office procedure that stimulates bone density and growth during treatment, often reducing your treatment time to four to ten months. This treatment is great for patients with compromised bone tissue who may not have otherwise been able to tolerate traditional braces. This is typically done by an oral surgeon or periodontist.
Speak to your Wheaton orthodontist about which system is right for you.
The Benefits Of Accelerated Treatment for Orthodontics
There are many benefits to using one of our methods of accelerated orthodontics. Here are a just a few of those benefits:
- The most obvious benefit is that treatment time is less, thus you are in treatment for less time. This is especially important for adult professionals who may not want to wear braces for very long.
- These treatments work with any kind of braces–metal, white or clear ceramic, lingual or even with invisalign.
- It increases bone and tooth density. If you are losing bone or tooth density for any reason, accelerated orthodontics will not only shorten your treatment, but it will increase tissue density, as well.
- Both methods are fast and easy. Whether you chose to use a device for 10 minutes each day, or opt for a short, in-patient procedure, treatment requires a very small investment of your time.
Am I A Good Candidate For Accelerated Orthodontics?
Although this is a new field, there are no real adverse affects if the treatments are done properly. Accelerated orthodontics is great for children, adolescents and adults alike. However, there are a few factors that exclude someone from being an accelerated orthodontics candidate.
- If you’re sensitive to frequent adjustments. Because your teeth will be moving faster, you will need more frequent adjustments. If you do not handle adjustments well, you may not respond well to accelerated orthodontics.
- Your type of malocclusion may exclude you. Some types of malocclusions are less compatible than others for this treatment. Discuss with your Wheaton orthodontist to find out if you would be good for this.
- Because accelerated orthodontics is such a new and innovative field, your insurance may not fully cover the procedure. Speak to our skilled office staff to see what insurance benefits you have.
Bauer Dentistry and Orthodontics Holds The Key To Your New Smile!
Have you been thinking of braces, but you don’t want a two to three year commitment? Speak with Wheaton and Glen Ellyn’s only Board certified orthodontist, Danielle Bauer at Bauer Dentistry and Orthodontics. She can discuss the process of accelerated orthodontics and help you to make the appointment that will change your smile forever.
No comments yet.