All on 4 dental implants cost

How much does the all on 4 dental implants cost?

The is no question that the all on 4 or more procedures are expensive. The first thing most patients need to know it what the all on 4 dental implants cost.  They run from about $20,000 up to $50,000 per arch if you get into bone grafting and individual porcelain teeth.  This post will talk about both the standard all on 4 dental implants cost and the variances that can increase that cost.  We also discuss how much those increases are.

What are the options and how does that impact the all on 4 dental implants cost?

The standard acrylic or composite all on 4 prosthesis.

The standard all on 4 process includes four dental implants and an acrylic denture that is built around a titanium frame.  This process is usually around $20-25,000 if done in one location.  If you split the procedure up and go to two different doctors you can expect to pay around $30,000 for the all on 4 from start to finish.  Many places offer to complete the entire process in one location with one or a team of doctors.  Going to different locations costs more because both places need to make a profit.  Having two offices also increases the chances for miscommunications.

We charge $20-22,000 for the all on 4 from start to finish.  This includes all extractions, bone removal, and dental implants.  We actually rarely place 4 implants, instead we place some extra ones just in case something was to ever happen to one of the other ones.  The cost also covers the temporary denture that attaches to the dental implants on the day of the surgery.  The fee includes the final denture that is actually not acrylic but nano-composite teeth on a titanium bar.

The all on 4 made of one piece with porcelain teeth is one upgrade.

This option allows for more esthetic teeth as someone is making the teeth from porcelain.  We use either a titanium, CrCo, or or zirconia as a base and then add porcelain to the outside.  This increases the cost in our office by about $5,000 per jaw so the total will be $25-27,000.  This fee represents a situation where we complete the entire procedure in our office. If you use multiple locations/doctors, then you will pay more.

The benefit of this option is esthetics and possible longevity.  I say possibly because there is no doubt that the teeth will hold up better than the acrylic or composite teeth but if and when damage occurs it is not good. This procedure is similar to bridge work dentists have done for ages but things can break. Depending on where the break occurs it can be rather expensive to fix.  A zirconia bar, which is becoming more popular, can break.  If it does break the entire thing may need to be redone and cost $15,000 or more.

all on 4 dental implants cost

All on 4, well really all on 6, made of one piece with porcelain teeth. Top and bottom are same.

An all on 4 dental implants cost when making with individual porcelain teeth is more but is also the best.

This is highest level upgrade.  It consists of a frame made from some sort of metal and individual crowns made on top.  We make the teeth the same way we make dental crowns that you may currently still have. What is nice about this is that if something is to break in the future it costs the same as a dental crown on normal teeth and we can fix this relatively easily without any major disruption to your life.  Many of the issues with the other types of all on 4 require us to remove the all on 4 and send it to the lab.  That is not he case with this all on 4.

The cost in our office for this option is $28-35,000. Again this covers all the steps and temporary fabrication as well.

How do we break down the all on 4 dental implants cost?

Some offices, like ours, use an all inclusive fee that coves everything from extractions, bone grafting and dental implants to the temporary and final all on 4 made for you.  If you are looking at multiple offices then the fee will be split between the offices, usually a surgical portion and a restorative portion.  The cost for both tends to be about the same number, but you will definitely pay more at two offices then you will at just one. We can break down the procedure into individual dental codes and charge that way.  However, doing that would be significantly more expensive but you could use fair health consumer to check the fees for your area.

What is the breakdown of all on 4 dental implants cost?

We don’t really breakdown the fee into individual procedures except for submitting to dental insurance. However, since this an expensive procedure your dental insurance will be maxed out.  Although dental insurance can help, do not count on it for much as most maximums are $1-2,000 per year.

All on 4 dental implants cost a lot of money.  What are the financing options?

If you pay the entire amount up front and in full you get a 5% discount.  We do some in house payment plans but the patients pays the balance off at each step.  We also have a secure link to our lending company where they offer several options.  The company we use, Lending Club, only does a soft pull on your credit.  This means it will not impact your credit history if you fill out the form.  We also work with Care Credit.  Although they do not do a soft pull, some people already have this program set up from some other health care costs.

Tags: , , , ,

24 Responses to “All on 4 dental implants cost”

1. Suzanna RasmussenJanuary 21, 2018 at 10:03 pm #

Where are you located?

• Bauer BryanJanuary 22, 2018 at 5:56 pm #

Chicagoland

2. TimFebruary 24, 2018 at 6:41 am #

What makes the all on 4 treatment prohibitively expensive requiring people to sell their kidney or mortgage their house?

Is it all profit for the dentists? I get people have to make some profit, but for this kind of money, I can buy 20 iPhones or a new car.

• Bauer BryanFebruary 25, 2018 at 6:56 pm #

Great question! The all on 4 is actually what has made it affordable. Prior to that technique the cost was routinely over $50,000 per arch and no one could afford it. The advantage of the all on 4 is that it only uses 4 implants which means less parts to buy. Also switched to milling bars instead of casting which is far cheaper, faster, less human time needed. Add to that using plastic teeth and gums that are manufactured instead of hand made porcelain and the price finally was able drop to around $20,000. So what is the $20,000 for? Implants, abutments, impressions copings, lab analogs, titanium inserts or chimneys (basically all the metal parts that go with the implants) cost about $5,000 per arch if you are using more than 4 implants and name brand company parts. I know generic parts exist that drop the price by about half but when making something this expensive it’s too risky in my opinion to start using knock off parts. Next is the temporary and any surgical guide. N sequence charges us around $3,000 per jaw. You can wear nothing for 6 months while things heal and save that cost. Finally is the most expensive part from the lab, buying the final prosthesis. You can buy one from a company like Glidewell for around $3,000 but they are not very good looking and I personally wouldn’t ever use. We pay around $8,000 for ours but many places are over $10,000 per arch now. I have a blog on lab costs. So for high end parts you are looking at just lab costs and parts costs of $16-18,000 total and for cheap stuff maybe half that. Add in that the average dental office overhead is 75% means the AVERAGE office would have to charge $36,000 to BREAK EVEN for the CHEAP STUFF. So how do offices make money? Well clearly the average office can’t. So one way is the centers that only do all on 4 with plastic teeth. They only give one option and that drastically increases efficiency of the entire office. They can routinely deliver the all on 4 with cheaper parts for around $24k and make a profit. For offices that you go to one office for implants and the another for teeth the cost ends up being more like $30,000 for them to make something. If all is done in one office like ours we can do high end stuff for around $25-30k but only because it is not what we rely on to generate most of our profits and our overhead is below the average. Even for the offices that can do it, it’s not really a great money maker for them if they are using nice labs and name brand implants. But it is professionally challenging which many docs like myself enjoy.

3. TimFebruary 26, 2018 at 11:09 pm #

Thank you for the detailed response, I do appreciate it and I will need to re-read this a couple of times to absorb all of the information that you have kindly provided.

I have four questions:

1 In reviewing your comments, unless I missed it, I didn’t see anything about bone grafts. I know I have been told that I have bone loss. Would there be costs additional to what is laid out above and if so, can you give me a rough estimate with the understanding that all patients are different and a final price can only be provided after consult.

2. Regardless of the final cost, all on 4 is still a significant investment. How long can I expect all of the new “devices” in my mouth to last before they need to be changed out?

3. My big worry is that I thought I took care of my teeth with brushing/flossing/regular visits and yet I ended up at this point at age 49. What are the risks for periodontal disease, are the same as with natural teeth/gums?

4. What is the daily oral care routine once this procedure is done?

• Bauer BryanFebruary 26, 2018 at 11:31 pm #

When doing the all on 4 we usually have to cut bone away. We don’t add bone back so there is no bone grafting charges. The point of the all on 4 is to place implants in locations where people have bone the longest and avoid areas where they would require grafting. So there is no bone grafting done for an all on 4.

If you are a grinder they will break and wear out much faster than if you are not. There are some studies attache in this link and it does over the things that go wrong as well as costs to fix. https://www.bauersmiles.com/2018/01/all-on-4-broke.html/

If you lost your teeth due to periodontal disease you are slghtly more likely to lose a dental implant to a similar problem but it is rare, even over a 20 year period I think the implant success rates are near 90%. I can’t recall exactly right now but it is a high number. You are more likely to break part of the prosthesis before an implant fails.

Daily care is consists or waterpik and a special type of floss that is almost like a very little rope. https://www.bauersmiles.com/2015/10/all-on-4-maintenance.html/

More info

4. Mr. CarterMarch 2, 2018 at 9:07 am #

Is the cost droped much lower if you do not have to extract all the teeth ? Saying the person done had them extracted when they came in to get the all on 4 procedure?

• Bauer BryanMarch 2, 2018 at 8:45 pm #

No. Maybe in some offices it is but I would bet those offices are charging a fee for each part of the procedure which would end up costing a lot more money. Anyone giving a set fee for the procedure is charging much less than if the parts were all broken out and the extraction part is the cheapest and easiest part of the process so we basically are giving that part away.

5. William WenerowiczMarch 8, 2018 at 4:39 pm #

I am in the market for a full upper 4×1. This would require approximately 6 extractions, a couple of which would require surgery. If I were to require individual porcelain teeth, can you hold the cost to between 28 to 30 k, all costs included?
    Bill Wenerowicz
    Milwaukee

• Bauer BryanMarch 12, 2018 at 5:45 am #

Yes. $30k is likely what it would cost to do that. I prefer this since if a tooth breaks in the future any dentist anywhere can easily fix it. You just need to come in for consult so we can check where you lip line is at when you smile (changes some things) and how much bone you have.

6. KimMarch 27, 2018 at 9:07 pm #

I have had all my teeth chiseled down and put emax veneers over all of them. (one bridge in the back) my front tooth needs an implant due to a root canal post not having enough real tooth material to hold the new crown ! My question is: what are my options?

• Bauer BryanMarch 28, 2018 at 9:49 pm #

I’m sorry that is definitely not enough info to tell you much of anything. If you have a complicated situation I would recommend finding a couple FAGD or MAGD dentists and get multiple opinions.

7. Steve dornApril 7, 2018 at 1:40 pm #

I am 74 years old, very healthy, had all my teeth pulled when I was 20. Have worn dentures every since. Would very much like to have full implants to enjoy the rest of my years. Does this sound possible?

• Bauer BryanApril 8, 2018 at 3:48 am #

Maybe. Men tend to have enough bone to do this. A 3D xray would be able to tell. Most dentists that place implants can take a 3D xray in office.

8. MarkApril 12, 2018 at 6:58 pm #

How many visits would this actually take for upper and lower? Does it vary per individual? When you pull the original teeth what happens and for how long before implants and the final product?

• Bauer BryanApril 13, 2018 at 3:51 am #

Varies per person. Several visits to make the temp teeth that are needed for the day of surgery. Then several visits after everything heals to make the final teeth.

9. William WenerowiczApril 18, 2018 at 6:15 pm #

Hello..where can I sign up for an initial implant evaluation? And, what is the cost of the evaluation?
    Thanks

• Bauer BryanApril 18, 2018 at 11:48 pm #

If you are in Chicagoland area, simply call the office and they will take care of you. The consultation is free of these.

10. MarkApril 19, 2018 at 2:27 pm #

Generally how long is the healing process after surgery? Do you pull teeth and implant posts on the same visit? Im also confused on the price, whats the average cost of upper and lower together as one price?

• Bauer BryanApril 22, 2018 at 2:35 am #

Healing time is surprisingly quick. Most are only sore for a day or two. All teeth come out and implants go in same day with a set of teeth. These are not the final ones. Cost for both upper and lower is around $50k.

11. Mark AinsworthApril 19, 2018 at 5:27 pm #

Hello Dr Bauer,
    I live in Northern Virginia in a DC suburb. I would love to have both upper and lower done (All on 4) at your office but with the multiple visits before and after the procedure….I don’t see how it would be possible. Are you affiliated with a dental office similar to yours in DC, VA or MD that charges similar fees for this procedure the way you do as an “All in one price”?

Thanks

• Bauer BryanApril 22, 2018 at 2:41 am #

Sorry no. I am sure you can find someone in your area though. I do have a large number of patients from far away but my rule is if someone can not make a reasonable drive to get here I don’t take them.

12. KieranApril 21, 2018 at 5:23 pm #

So if you want all teeth removed and get a full 4 set implant ,from start to finish the cost is around 30,000? If have receding gums and pretty bad in some area’s will this cause added problem or stop the procedure altogether?.

• Bauer BryanApril 22, 2018 at 2:45 am #

Cost could be that higher but probably little lower. That is just for either top or bottom so full mouth is around $50k. Receding gums won’t impact at all.