New Translucent Zirconia Crowns

New Translucent Zirconia Crowns

New translucent zirconia crowns are arguably the best material to come along since white dental composites. They are very strong and for back teeth are very natural looking.

Sean’s new translucent zirconia crown

Are you in need of a dental crown but afraid that it will not look natural? This can be a scare to some patients, however Dr. Bauer utilizes translucent zirconia crowns that allow the tooth to look perfectly in place.

Sean had come into the office in search of a cost effective fix for his rotted molar, without having to extract the entire tooth. As Dr. Bauer and Sean discussed options, they had concluded that a new zirconia crown would be the perfect solution. A natural looking, yet strong zirconia crown was placed on the tooth. Sean is ecstatic with the results and so are we!

What do new translucent zirconia crowns cost?

the material is actually cheaper than other materials that we use to fabricate dental crowns so the cost is the same as other dental crowns and less than gold crowns. In our office the fee is around $1500 for a dental crown. The fee that you pay will depend on several factors, one being where you live. To find out the approximate cost in your zip code you can check out fair health consumer website and type in dental code D2940.

What are the steps for new translucent zirconia crowns?

The first step is to prepare the tooth for a dental crown and take an impression of the tooth. The tooth will have a temporary dental crown while the dental laboratory fabricates the zirconia crown. A few weeks later you return and we cement the zirconia crown on.

If you are in need of a crown that looks natural as well as strong, a new translucent zirconia crown could be the ideal option for you. Call Bauer Dentistry and Orthodontics to set up a consult and to see if this option will work best for you!

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “New Translucent Zirconia Crowns”

1. DemetriusFebruary 24, 2018 at 10:01 pm #

Why would you choose the translucent zirconia crown over an e-max crown?

A comparison between the two technologies would be interesting since I am in the midst of having a pair of e-max crowns at the top two front teeth.

Thanks

• Bauer BryanFebruary 25, 2018 at 5:29 pm #

The translucent zirconia is stronger, most brands are around twice as strong as emax. Emax is easier for labs to make match other teeth and is more esthetic. If the emax is pressed then it will have a better fit and better anatomy. If the emax is milled then zirconia and emax fit and anatomy will be same. A note about the milling though. Not all mills are equal. In office dental mills are the worst so will give the worst anatomy but laboratory mills can be comparable to pressed crowns. A comparison might be nice but will probably be out of date in few years at the rate things are changing. Right now in 2018 all my posterior crowns are esthetic zirconia and my anterior crowns and veneers are emax. For your case very few docs would not choose emax.

• DemetriusFebruary 25, 2018 at 5:57 pm #

Thank you for your reply. The technology is quite fascinating as I have been researching it more in depth over the last couple months.

My doctor did zirconia for a few molar crowns in December, and is now doing emax for my two front upper teeth.

I just need to run over to the lab tomorrow so they can accurately color-match with my natural teeth.

• Bauer BryanFebruary 25, 2018 at 10:58 pm #

I like your dentist! Don’t overthink this. Sounds like you are in good hands and you are paying for their expertise so you don’t have to figure everything out.

2. DemetriusFebruary 25, 2018 at 6:13 pm #

What is “pressing” and “milling?”

• Bauer BryanFebruary 25, 2018 at 10:59 pm #

Different methods of making crowns. You don’t need to concern yourself with it. Like I said sounds like you are in great hands.

• DemetriusFebruary 26, 2018 at 2:30 am #

Yes, I like my dentist too. I have been with him since 1994. I ask him a lot of questions too – more than any of his other patients he says. The more answers I get, the more curious I get with more questions. At the same time, I feel compelled to respect the time he has allotted to me so I don’t put him behind schedule. Not that he as ever said anything like that.

Again, thank you for your replies, Dr. Bryan.