My dental implant fell out

My dental implant fell out!

My dental implant fell out is something we hear from time to time from a patient after we put in a dental implant. Almost always that is not exactly the case.

My dental implant fell out!

Typically when a patient calls to tell us this, something other than the dental implant falling out is what is actually going on. The first thing we really want to see is a photo of whatever it is that came out. In order of things that I have personally seen patients call and say, “My dental implant fell out!” are

• The healing abutment is without question the number one thing that patients call about when saying “My dental implant fell out!”
  • The rest of these are much less common but the abutment screw is one we have had patients call about.
  • Patients also occasionally call when a blood clot or our perio pack fall out.
  • Finally, probably the least common thing patients call about is the actual dental implant falling out.

The healing abutment is what the patient is calling and saying my dental implant fell out

This is common. I don’t know exact percentage but I would guess around 5% for me. This occurs for several reasons and we can limit the percentage by tightening with our torque wrench. I personally do not use a torque wrench for this but many do. Another reason this occurs is the healing abutment is not fully down all the way because it is tight against bone or tissue. Eventually as the healing process begins the bone and tissue change and the healing abutment loosens.

My dental implant fell out!

Healing abutments are the most common thing to fall out. Their size and shape varies from company to company but most look fairly similar to these two.

The prosthetic screw is what they mistake for the dental implant.

This does not happen often because the the whole abutment would come out as well but in some cases it is possible for just this to come out. The prosthetic screw attaches the abutment to the dental implant, I know that is probably too technical, sorry! Anyway, here is a picture of a prosthetic screw looks like. They are all very similar and very small.

My dental implant fell out

Prosthetic screw not a dental implant

The loss of the perio pack is what we sometimes see patients calling in about and saying my dental implant fell out.

This basically looks like a bloody clot. There are different versions of perio packs and they look different. I’m not going to show this cause they look like a bloody ball of slime.

My dental implant fell out – yes it really is the dental implant!

If this happens it is a real bummer! This does happen but it is rare. I have seen plenty of failures but it is unusual that a dental implant actually falls out and the patient brings it back. I have only seen it once (well it actually happened twice on the same individual). We made him a dental bridge!

When the dental implant fell out

Tags:

14 Responses to “My dental implant fell out”

1. netmouserApril 6, 2018 at 12:28 pm #

Am I one of those people who would not be a candidate for an implanted screw/tooth? I have had a strong nickel allergy since my 20’s. It is contact and causes an itchy rash quickly. I’m now 70. Runs in the family. I could wear no jewelry at all against my skin until I found a special on-line company that has items for people like me. Their metal is fine. I had problems even with jewelry that said “surgical steel” or for sensitive skin.

I want no risk for having to remove some inflamed device that flares up due to a sensitivity. I see even dentures have some metal that seems to hold the appliance in place.

• Bauer BryanApril 6, 2018 at 7:09 pm #

Nickel sensitivity is very common but is not used much in dentistry. It is inexpensive so very cheap dental crowns may have it but that’s about it. Dental implants are 100% titanium, so no nickel.

2. netmouserApril 8, 2018 at 6:50 pm #

Another implant question. A local prosthedontist has as a service that reads “our prosthodontist works with an oral surgeon or periodontist to place immediately loaded dental implants. This procedure usually only takes just one or two short appointments that typically only last an hour or so. The use of advanced technology …” then says “traditional implants take a long time to fuse securely to the jaw bone in a process called osseointegration. This means a long waiting period …”

Is this a newer or alternative implant solution that is mainstream? Sounds like it is fast and not the months of recovery for traditional implant.

• Bauer BryanApril 9, 2018 at 8:58 pm #

No it just means they put a temporary crown on immediately then after it heals they take new impressions to make the final crown. There is an increased risk of implant failure doing this but it is fairly common to do this on front teeth where the benefits of having a fixed tooth for the 4 month healing process outweigh the risks of losing the implant. Don’t do that in the back. Here is a post on the topic of temporization. The first one is immediately loaded. It is possible that they are placing the final implant crown on the day of the surgery. Very little benefit to this and much more risk.

3. Nathaniel ReevesJuly 22, 2018 at 2:46 am #

My abutment fell out I like to know will it close up the hole where the implant will be placed

• Bauer BryanJuly 23, 2018 at 7:58 pm #

It will close up some but not completely. Sometimes I am able to get one back in with just some topical gel sometimes I have to get people numb and remove extra tissue.

4. AprilAugust 12, 2018 at 11:19 am #

I was asleep last night and heard a click and then found the abutment in my mouth. At first I was as like “what?” And worried and couldn’t sleep. I’ve called my dentists and oral surgeon. And of course it’s a Sunday. Will this close up in the next day?! I tried to put it back in myself, and it’s a no go.:( The dentist just put 2 implants on last Monday and this one, the tooth didn’t fit. So he put the abutment back on and said i had to wait for the new tooth. So I assume he didn’t tighten it enough?

• Bauer BryanAugust 13, 2018 at 7:27 pm #

Shouldn’t be an issue. I assume you spoke to office already though

5. Shane DurhamAugust 13, 2018 at 9:48 am #

I have an implant screw that was/is sensitive to the touch of my tongue. About a week ago & with my fingers, I turned it until it felt tight & it then was no longer sensitive to the touch of my tongue.
    Last night, the problem came back. I tried to tighten it with my fingers again & it is not tightening. It reminds me of a stripped screw.
    Should I be concerned about the screw falling out, failed implant, etc? Is it normal to be able to turn the screw with my fingers?
    My hope is that it just needs to be tightened.
    Thank you for your response.

• Bauer BryanAugust 13, 2018 at 7:43 pm #

You should not be tightening it yourself. It’s not necessarily abnormal but the dentist who placed the implant should do that to rule out any issues.

6. Shane DurhamAugust 13, 2018 at 10:06 pm #

Thanks

7. Shane DurhamAugust 23, 2018 at 7:30 am #

Saw my dentist & he tightened my abutments. So glad it was nothing serious. Thank you for your kind response.

8. JenseenSeptember 14, 2018 at 2:41 pm #

Do these things grow weak from age/having 50+ years of dental Xrays?

I’m 68 and my screw & tooth just came out for the second time yesterday.
    First time was about 6 weeks ago when a dentist easily fitted it back in.

Also, my root canals (about 3) were all successful until the last two within the past six years. (Age? Xrays?)

I have Prime-Dent Glass Ionomer Cement but can find nothing online as to whether it can be used to fix the problem until my appointment in 13 days. Would it work? Thank you!

• Bauer BryanSeptember 14, 2018 at 3:11 pm #

It sounds like you have dental posts not implants? When posts keep falling out you need the root extracted and to get a dental implant.