My dental implant fell out

My dental implant fell out!

My dental implant fell out is something we hear from time to time from a patient after we put in a dental implant. Almost always that is not exactly the case.

My dental implant fell out!

Typically when a patient calls to tell us this, something other than the dental implant falling out is what is actually going on. The first thing we really want to see is a photo of whatever it is that came out. In order of things that I have personally seen patients call and say, “My dental implant fell out!” are

• The healing abutment is without question the number one thing that patients call about when saying “My dental implant fell out!”
  • The rest of these are much less common but the abutment screw is one we have had patients call about.
  • Patients also occasionally call when a blood clot or our perio pack fall out.
  • Finally, probably the least common thing patients call about is the actual dental implant falling out.

The healing abutment is what the patient is calling and saying my dental implant fell out

This is common. I don’t know exact percentage but I would guess around 5% for me. This occurs for several reasons and we can limit the percentage by tightening with our torque wrench. I personally do not use a torque wrench for this but many do. Another reason this occurs is the healing abutment is not fully down all the way because it is tight against bone or tissue. Eventually as the healing process begins the bone and tissue change and the healing abutment loosens.

My dental implant fell out!

Healing abutments are the most common thing to fall out. Their size and shape varies from company to company but most look fairly similar to these two.

The prosthetic screw is what they mistake for the dental implant.

This does not happen often because the the whole abutment would come out as well but in some cases it is possible for just this to come out. The prosthetic screw attaches the abutment to the dental implant, I know that is probably too technical, sorry! Anyway, here is a picture of a prosthetic screw looks like. They are all very similar and very small.

My dental implant fell out

Prosthetic screw not a dental implant

The loss of the perio pack is what we sometimes see patients calling in about and saying my dental implant fell out.

This basically looks like a bloody clot. There are different versions of perio packs and they look different. I’m not going to show this cause they look like a bloody ball of slime.

My dental implant fell out – yes it really is the dental implant!

If this happens it is a real bummer! This does happen but it is rare. I have seen plenty of failures but it is unusual that a dental implant actually falls out and the patient brings it back. I have only seen it once (well it actually happened twice on the same individual). We made him a dental bridge!

When the dental implant fell out

Tags:

25 Responses to “My dental implant fell out”

1. netmouserApril 6, 2018 at 12:28 pm #

Am I one of those people who would not be a candidate for an implanted screw/tooth? I have had a strong nickel allergy since my 20’s. It is contact and causes an itchy rash quickly. I’m now 70. Runs in the family. I could wear no jewelry at all against my skin until I found a special on-line company that has items for people like me. Their metal is fine. I had problems even with jewelry that said “surgical steel” or for sensitive skin.

I want no risk for having to remove some inflamed device that flares up due to a sensitivity. I see even dentures have some metal that seems to hold the appliance in place.

• Bauer BryanApril 6, 2018 at 7:09 pm #

Nickel sensitivity is very common but is not used much in dentistry. It is inexpensive so very cheap dental crowns may have it but that’s about it. Dental implants are 100% titanium, so no nickel.

2. netmouserApril 8, 2018 at 6:50 pm #

Another implant question. A local prosthedontist has as a service that reads “our prosthodontist works with an oral surgeon or periodontist to place immediately loaded dental implants. This procedure usually only takes just one or two short appointments that typically only last an hour or so. The use of advanced technology …” then says “traditional implants take a long time to fuse securely to the jaw bone in a process called osseointegration. This means a long waiting period …”

Is this a newer or alternative implant solution that is mainstream? Sounds like it is fast and not the months of recovery for traditional implant.

• Bauer BryanApril 9, 2018 at 8:58 pm #

No it just means they put a temporary crown on immediately then after it heals they take new impressions to make the final crown. There is an increased risk of implant failure doing this but it is fairly common to do this on front teeth where the benefits of having a fixed tooth for the 4 month healing process outweigh the risks of losing the implant. Don’t do that in the back. Here is a post on the topic of temporization. The first one is immediately loaded. It is possible that they are placing the final implant crown on the day of the surgery. Very little benefit to this and much more risk.

3. Nathaniel ReevesJuly 22, 2018 at 2:46 am #

My abutment fell out I like to know will it close up the hole where the implant will be placed

• Bauer BryanJuly 23, 2018 at 7:58 pm #

It will close up some but not completely. Sometimes I am able to get one back in with just some topical gel sometimes I have to get people numb and remove extra tissue.

4. AprilAugust 12, 2018 at 11:19 am #

I was asleep last night and heard a click and then found the abutment in my mouth. At first I was as like “what?” And worried and couldn’t sleep. I’ve called my dentists and oral surgeon. And of course it’s a Sunday. Will this close up in the next day?! I tried to put it back in myself, and it’s a no go.:( The dentist just put 2 implants on last Monday and this one, the tooth didn’t fit. So he put the abutment back on and said i had to wait for the new tooth. So I assume he didn’t tighten it enough?

• Bauer BryanAugust 13, 2018 at 7:27 pm #

Shouldn’t be an issue. I assume you spoke to office already though

5. Shane DurhamAugust 13, 2018 at 9:48 am #

I have an implant screw that was/is sensitive to the touch of my tongue. About a week ago & with my fingers, I turned it until it felt tight & it then was no longer sensitive to the touch of my tongue.
    Last night, the problem came back. I tried to tighten it with my fingers again & it is not tightening. It reminds me of a stripped screw.
    Should I be concerned about the screw falling out, failed implant, etc? Is it normal to be able to turn the screw with my fingers?
    My hope is that it just needs to be tightened.
    Thank you for your response.

• Bauer BryanAugust 13, 2018 at 7:43 pm #

You should not be tightening it yourself. It’s not necessarily abnormal but the dentist who placed the implant should do that to rule out any issues.

6. Shane DurhamAugust 13, 2018 at 10:06 pm #

Thanks

7. Shane DurhamAugust 23, 2018 at 7:30 am #

Saw my dentist & he tightened my abutments. So glad it was nothing serious. Thank you for your kind response.

8. JenseenSeptember 14, 2018 at 2:41 pm #

Do these things grow weak from age/having 50+ years of dental Xrays?

I’m 68 and my screw & tooth just came out for the second time yesterday.
    First time was about 6 weeks ago when a dentist easily fitted it back in.

Also, my root canals (about 3) were all successful until the last two within the past six years. (Age? Xrays?)

I have Prime-Dent Glass Ionomer Cement but can find nothing online as to whether it can be used to fix the problem until my appointment in 13 days. Would it work? Thank you!

• Bauer BryanSeptember 14, 2018 at 3:11 pm #

It sounds like you have dental posts not implants? When posts keep falling out you need the root extracted and to get a dental implant.

9. RoseJanuary 14, 2019 at 12:21 am #

Today I believe my dental prosthetic screw came out of my bottom jaw., where I originally had 4 implant screws put in preparing for the “all on 4” implants in my bottom jaw. ** If a “dental prosthetic screw “comes out, is the implant still in the hole that the screw came out of? If so~ would the dentist be able to re-use the screw? Would a bone graft have to be put in the gum first? I am so confused…

I had these 4 implants put in my lower jaw sev years ago~ and all went well…. I should have had my mouth work/implants all completed long before now, but a family tragedy/ crisis took my time and focus…both emotionally and physically.

I have been wearing a horrible clunky lower bottom denture since then, and have to remove it twice a day and use a lot of denture adhesive to keep it in. YES~ I should have gone back to my dentist to go forward with my implant procedure long ago. Family matters came up unfortunately, that prevented that ( deaths of several family members in a Very short period of time)

Excuse me for saying this~ but I now feel screwed… and am so upset. Was all this work done thus far for naught? I appreciate your input, and thank you for your consideration in answering my question…

• Bauer BryanJanuary 15, 2019 at 4:52 am #

There is a good chance the implants are just fine. Mostly likely you lost a cover screw and those can easily be replaced. They are small, usually more like 2 or 3mm tall. An implant for an all on 4 is often 10+mm long (often 13mm long) but can be any length in some circumstances.

10. RoseJanuary 16, 2019 at 1:36 am #

Thank you for your reply~ but they are definitely not the “cover” for the screws. I know what those look like, and the ones (2) that came out look more like screws…( I believe the dentist put in 2 shorter screws, and 2 longer screws that he angled. The screws that came out are short, but they have grooves on them like a screw does.
    Thats what I don’t understand… I had virtually no problems when they were initially put in~ and the dentist even remarked what a fast healer I was!!

I know the clunky denture with adhesive was really becoming very bothersome, and I had wondered whether my having to pull the denture out with adhesive still stuck to it, was a contributing factor to the screw ( OR whatever) suddenly appearing to have been “pulled out?” Or doesn’t that make any sense? I don’t know.

I have saved the screws or whatever, and will of course take them to my dentist when I get to see him. My question > IF these are the implants or screws, will he have to do bone grafts and drill new holes? This whole situation is weighing quite heavily on me.. along with the wondering of how much more money this will potentially cause me to now remedy. Look~ I know it was wrong to put off going back when I should of….. But unfortunately sometimes life throws us obstacles, and things have to be put on the back burner. We just have to know how to go forward from that point on.

Once again thank you for any comments you may have. They are very appreciated 🙂

• Bauer BryanJanuary 16, 2019 at 9:52 pm #

How many millimeters tall are they? Less than 10mm and they are either healing abutment, multi-unit abutment or cover screw. All there are threaded like a screw. Implants can get rocked out with a denture. Good luck!

11. RoseJanuary 17, 2019 at 4:50 pm #

Thank you for taking the time to response to my question…
    I measured them and the “screws” ( or whatever they are) are 5mm long…
    So I guess that these are possibly some kind of abutment or prosthetic screws then? … and yes, ` I believe that the denture sitting on them, or “rocking” against them caused them to come out.
    ps) your answer made me feel a little bit better~and hopeful that while this situation needs to be dealt with and corrected, it is not as serious as I was thinking..
    Thank you again.

• Bauer BryanJanuary 17, 2019 at 11:45 pm #

5mm is NOT an implant. It is some kind of abutment that gets screwed into the implant. A dentist can just screw it back in. It doesn’t mean the implants are in good shape but at least it’s not the implant that fell out! Good news for you!!

12. RoseJanuary 18, 2019 at 10:34 pm #

THANK YOU a thousand times for your answers, and for allowing me to “breathe again!” 🙂

13. ChristaJanuary 22, 2019 at 7:11 pm #

My daughter had implant surgery last March and was released last September to go back to the dentist to get the tooth made. We waited till January for financial reasons. No problems everything went well. After the dentist did a mold and was trying to put the healing abutment back, she said it’s loose and pulled on the abutment and the whole screw came out.

Needless to say everyone freaked out. I now have an appointment with the oral surgeon in a few days as he is out of the country. My question is, is this fixable and how does it happen.? We are very frustrated as this has been a serious financial burden for me to get her this far. But this is what was recommended and I felt it was necessary as she is only 16. I am a bit concerned about her going in for yet another surgery in addition to the additional cost. Not sure how to reassure her that it will be ok.

• Bauer BryanJanuary 22, 2019 at 7:27 pm #

Usually can just put a new one back in right away. It happens a decent amount of time, at least 5% time in most offices. I always just replace for free and just accept that 5-10% of the time it happens and I have to factor in that cost. However, if you see a in-network provider the fee is lower and the doctor can’t always afford to do it again at that fee, thus you are just out of luck.

14. SteveMarch 25, 2019 at 7:20 am #

I just lost my implant, do I have to go to the dentist? Or can I tough it out and it will just heal up?

• Bauer BryanMarch 25, 2019 at 2:35 pm #

I would recommend you go in but you don’t have to do anything.